New Hampshire State Information

In New Hampshire, approximately over 12,000 children live with grandparents or other relative caregivers. Additionally, over 4,500 grandparents reported having their grandchildren living with them.

The University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension coordinates the Relatives as Parents Program (RAPP), which is funded through the Brookdale Foundation and AARP (NH). RAPP exists to form partnerships with various organizations, governmental and nongovernmental, to provide support groups and education to kinship care families.

New Hampshire does offer various forms of financial assistance to eligible kinship care families. Financial assistance is available for childcare, nutrition, and other expenses. Assistance is funded through TANF and FAP (Family Assistance Program). The state also offers child only grants that are solely based on the income of the child or children. See the resource guide below for more information.

New Hampshire offers a diverse range of services, support, and assistance for relative care families. Through public and private partnerships the state has been able to place many children with relatives, and prevent their entrance into the foster system.

By the Numbers
  • Over 12,000 children live with grandparents or other relative caregivers.
  • Over 4,500 grandparents report having their grandchildren living with them.
Grandparent Visitation

Download the Grandparent Visitation information here (current as of 8/1/11)

This is a Widget Section

This section is widgetized. If you would like to add content to this section, you may do so by using the Widgets panel from within your WordPress Admin Dashboard. This Widget Section is called "Feature bottom"